We are grateful for the contests that make up our Whole Hog Barbecue Series, and for the coordinators who dedicate their time and energy making the events and the series a success. The resources below should provide you with details on the sanctioning, judging and promotion of your event.
- Sanctioning Requirements
- Core Rules for Sanctioned Contests
- Promotional Overview
- On-Site Scoresheet
- Showmanship Judging Guidelines
- Blind Taste Judging Guidelines
All Whole Hog Barbecue Series judges must be trained and approved by the N.C. Pork Council.
A successful judging candidate must:
- attend an in-person training;
- shadow cooks to gain an understanding of what goes in to cooking whole hog barbecue;
- shadow a training judge at at least one event to learn what the judges are looking for.
Once these three steps are completed, judges will be placed onto the judges list. Judges need to attend in-person training at least every five years.
The video below provides judging criteria for Whole Hog Barbecue Series contests. Sign up for the Whole Hog Newsletter below to receive notices about training opportunities.